Wednesday, December 29, 2004

The Stepford Wives

It's pouring rain so hard I think I should build an ark, and well, I wanted to rent the first tape of the second half of the sixth season of Sex and the City, but they were all out. So, I rented The Stepford Wives instead (I was also considering The Terminal -- I chose wrong). And I have a few questions:
1) Why would all these powerful women work for major corporations rather than their own companies? I find it a strange coincidence that corporations are running American and this film is about women who sold out to powerful positions within those corporations. Can we come up with a better idea of a powerful woman?
2) Why on earth would it be strange for a powerful woman to be having fabulous sex with her husband in the middle of the afternoon? This event is presented as if it is some freak of nature. I pity the fools who wrote this screenplay.
3) Why did Nicole Kidman go blond at the end? Is it intended as some kind of compromise between being a powerful ball-busting chyck and being a good wife and mother? Freaky!
4) Interesting that in the end the plot to computerize wives is conceived by a woman. Of course it is the stereotype and my personal experience that powerful women, esp of the older generation, are much more critical of their female employees than their male employees. Did the writers know this? What generation are they?
Overall, the film is another example of anti-post-feminist ideology pervading the popular consciousness. I am appalled that this sort of story could be made in the contemporary American mainstream.

No comments: