Sunday, December 26, 2004

The day after christmas

I’ve been home for 10 days and this is the second day of bad weather. It actually isn’t that bad. The sky is letting down a light sprinkle, and the cloud cover is high so that my view of the Bay Bridge is a black silhouette against white clouds. There’s a Victorian in the view with a tower and everything. Before I left, it was run down and gray. Now it is painting bright white nearly glowing against the horizon. Another possible indication that my fate is changing. Or maybe it is just the economy.

Today’s top news stories, the earthquake and tsunamis in South East Asian and the election in Ukraine, are a strange coincidence with my life. I have spent most of the day researching the impact of the quake on friends in Thailand to make sure they are safe, and it appears that they are. Of course, I figured this out only after worrying myself sick.

E says that the lesson here night be to keep your eyes on the horizon – not get too caught up in the details of your personal life at the expense of events of international (universal?) importance. I disagree. I think matters of the heart are universal, and it is not so strange to for them to be frame by, or for them to frame, international (or universal) events. It’s hard to be human on earth – and being oneself is a huge responsibility. And that’s not even getting into the “think globally act locally” issues…. The personal is political!

My Christmas was nice and calm. There were not major conflicts (touch wood). The food was excellent, the lights and decorations pretty. We didn’t get to see the children, but that means quiet conversation (there is always a positive angle on a thing…). Today has been quiet. In fact, I have not yet left my apartment. I am considering going back to bed. I am boiling the turkey carcass for the second time – none of us will get sick this month!

That’s my story and I am sticking to it.

No comments: