Thursday, December 30, 2004

quotes and thoughts

From Will and Grace (my 5th favorite TV show)
"you don't have to lose to have fun. you are not France."
which reminds me of a discussion in one of the books on France I recently read, which positted that France is determined to always be runner-up, but never win. Another book said that the French prefer to have to best taste rather than produce the best of anything at all. I think the French have the best breakfast pastry.

This morning Grace Paley said on KQED (one of our local public radio stations), I paraphrase, "You can love 2 places. I don't know if you can love 2 people, but you can love 2 places." She loves rural vermont (I think it was) and New York. She loves the rural area because she loves "ecology". I don't know what makes people think that living in rural areas, where resources are wasted profligately by definition, gives a deeper connection with nature. It's kind of like beating your wife because you love her.

Of course, I love lots of people (is that not what she meant?) and 2 places.

No comments: