Saturday, December 25, 2004

Peace on earth

So far, I have received for xmas 2 books I am excited to read and a pair of organic cotton socks that say “peace on earth”. Affirmation does have power, even if just written on your ankles.

Marilynn had handouts at her xmas eve party last night. A quiz on intuition (I came out as moderately intuitive, or not trusting my intuition, probably because I don’t communicate telepathically with animals), an article about love (which I will be quoting from in a moment), and a Rilke poem.

The love article, by Dennis Overbye, posits that the most powerful force in the universe is love, greater than gravity or jealousy or anything you name. For the most part, he seems, again, to be talking about the enormous love a parent has for his children, but since I am struggling with the idea of partnership, my quotes are about that. “But tell me,” he writes, “you’ve never been taken in by a smile. Human love, biochemists say, is a sort of oxytocin drunk, an addiction to the hormones our partners, real or desired, release in us.” [YES YES YES]

Later he quotes another “Or as the refrain to Albert Einstein Dreams by Naked to the World put it
“Just because I’m Albert Einstein doesn’t mean I understand
“The ever-expanding universe between a woman and a man [OR WHATEVER]
“If I knew, or had half a clue, I’d be much more famous than I am”

On a slightly different note, Jane and Calla read about how the first communication with a newborn can be sticking out your tongue. The baby responds by sticking out its tongue. They did this with their newborn Lulu. After a short time, it became her first language – she stuck her tongue out at people, trees, dogs. I believe that this tongue sticking out is a kind of Namaste – “the spirit in me blesses the spirit in you.”

No comments: