Tuesday, December 07, 2004

The Sewer and Intuition

I've been trying to see the Paris sewer for I don't know how many years, and today I finally saw it. I imagined something like the underground resevoir in Istanbul (with gorgeous corinthian columns and sculptures into the walls), but it is much more utilitarian than that and not in the least bit gorgeous. It smells terrible, loud water rushes under your feed, and they have explanatory boards describing the history of water management in Paris and how it works now. Jennifer (who didn't come with me) was concerned that she might feel claustrophobic there, and I must admit to having a bit of an anxiety attack not from claustrophobia, but from the noise and the smell. In any case, I am glad I finally saw it, as I have never seen a working sewer before.

I've been trying to eat a chocolate crepe every day I have remaining here in Paris. I don't remember what Ti Cous charges for them in SF, but they certainly are not on every street corner (I don't get to 16th and Valencia every day!).

Yesterday was dominated primarily by a long walk through the city and numerous telephone conversations with various people, so there isn't much of interest to report. One thing I would like to share with you is something I have been wondering about intuition. Recently, my intuition was proven completely wrong about something. No matter what you might think from your personal experience with me, from my perspective this have actually never happened before (except maybe about Gore becoming president, but I think in that case my intuition confused being president with winning the election). I have discussed this at length with several of my friends and my mother and the only realistic explanation (which doesn't really make sense in the context of what intuition is actually) is that intuition doesn't work across cultures. This is Gitte's theory, and I consider her an expert on cross-cultural relations. So, I guess I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with cross-cultural intuition...?

No comments: