Friday, December 03, 2004

Kitchens, a brief cultural comparison

The French (Mido and JP anyway) say that I will never marry because when I toss the salad, I spill salad leaves on the table. I say, I need a bigger salad bowl. In fact, I find most of the French have a range of inadequate kitchen equipment. This includes the small size of the salad bowls, a complete lack of kitchen knives, and especially chefs knives, and no spices. Most American kitchens I know have a range of perhaps a dozen different spices. The French have salt and pepper, and almost never put it on the table. On the other hand, everyone has a pressure cooker, and I have come to really enjoy using them.

The Poirier Montmartre apartment is more like an American kitchen, and I hope this will help reduce my culture shock when I have to come home to my own American kitchen.

No comments: