Sunday, November 30, 2008

Wooo! Girls and Soul Suckers

The universe sent me a message today. In the spirit of High Fidelity, I have been checking in with various ex-boyfriends. Success has been highly variable... from being told to go f- myself (metaphorically) to extended conversations about the meaning of it all. All responses were completely healing. For example, my records indicate my last communication with the one who's still mad was August '07. What kind of a person holds a grudge that long? I had no idea I meant so much to these people who dumped me.

Today, by complete co-incidence, I had lunch with a guy I dated briefly early in 2007 and his new girlfriend. She's also oddly similar to the "new" girlfriend I met of the guy who's still mad (though smart, pretty and with better social skills). I believe this means that universe is telling me that my High-Fidelity project is on-track.

You probably already know that I love How I Met Your Mother (and not just because they named one of the characters after me). The Wooo! Girls episode resonated: I plead guilty! (on all charges.) I mean, I don't think Wooo! Girls are sad, but I do think that they would give all that up in something like a second if the right guy presented the right proposal. Being single is completely wonderful; dating sucks (Thanks, Brian). I believe that every human deeply wants a loving partnership with the right person -- we just confront a lot of obstacles in ourselves and the world to setting all that up.

One of those obstacles is the "soul sucker." The little brother of my best friend since kindergarten, Laura, who I spent Thanksgiving with, shared this concept with me onThursday. He explained: "You're doing great, working hard. You have good friends. Maybe you have some art projects going. Then, you meet someone. Next thing you know, the only thing you're doing is spending time with that person." They're effectively preventing you from living up to your full potential. Thy must avoid the Soul Sucker. ...which basically means that you can only date people who you have a whole lot in common with already. Maybe everyone else already knows that, but it seems like a big constraint to me. It's a good thing I'm done dating.

PS, I can't wait to tell you about the apocalyptic puppet show I saw tonight, but it will have to wait for another post.

No comments: