Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Cautiously Optimistic

Last night was crazy. We tried to go to a party at the Yerba Buena center for the arts but it was over capacity and not everyone in our party got in... including me and Marie Lyse. So, we mosied to a nearby sports bar with lots of televisions and had to wrestle for tables, chairs and physical space (we never got more than one chair for our party). We ordered chicken wings, jalapeno poppers, nachos (etc...Danielle said they were the worst nachos she had ever had) but at least our food was thematically appropriate.

The large, noisy bar went quiet when McCain gave his concession speech at 8 on the dot. That was one outstanding speech! I read about his love for chaos as indicated by his selection of Palin as running mate (and many other decisions), and I can't help but point out that he would have received more votes without her. Likewise, Obama would have received more votes if he were white. We are what we are. Obama won!

I cried when Obama spoke. I worried if he was safe. I hugged perfect strangers in elation. This presidential election is such good news, I'm bracing myself for disappointment. Who knew it was possible we could have a black president? The camera hovered on Jessie Jackson's tearful face.

If I had been able to vote in the primaries, I probably would have voted for Hillary. I don't like Palin. However, I am also aware that twice this country has chosen a black man over a woman in this election. We are less racist than we are still sexist. I don't confront sexism much in my every day life, but I believe Geraldine Ferraro when she says it is still absolutely a man's world (according to Danielle).

Obama, Biden and their families spent a long time on the stage in Chicago. I had lots of time to analyze their expressions. Barack and Jill Biden both looked nervous but happy. Michelle and Joe looked thrilled. If I fell in love with a man who wanted to run for president, I would rise to the occasion, but it wouldn't be my first choice. Danielle suggested that Obama was tempering his joy to express instead his seriousness about the job, and I can appreciate that.

People were dancing and singing in the streets. The intersection of 19th and Valencia was completely blocked with celebration. (I took a video with my little camera which I might post later.) It was a special night to be in San Francisco!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lilia please post the video, I'm fiending for local footage over here in Barcelona. We (2 Californians, 2 Marylanders, 1 Floridian, 1 Indianan, 1 Swede, 2 Catalans, & 1 Chilean) stayed up til 6:30 am watching the coverage. I wish I could have been there in SF to celebrate, but we had our little one over here, only daring to pop open the cava when Ohio was called by 3 networks. I got 2 congratulatory phone calls today, as if I had personally had my own victory. It did feel like that, and like a victory shared.

Visca Obama !!
xo Sheila