Monday, November 10, 2008

What to do when you are sad

Years ago, my sister sent me some of her ideas for how to make yourself ready for love. The only one I remembered was "take a bath with candle light and herbs". While no one should ever listen to my advice on anything, my rule has been to try to be the kind of person I would fall in love with. That's why I do everything I do: work, sleep, bath, make art, have friends, cook, house keep, volunteer, exercise, try to keep thin, tend to my body, be nice to my mother... I could go on. The project has grown greater than its purpose, and I have come to like it for its own sake.

But I still struggle with happiness. I've researched it for years. I'm a bit too sensitive; if my boss looks at me sideways, I get in a bad mood. And I care less what he thinks than my friends and family I've known so much longer. He's onto me and keeps his direction gentle. But I still need an occasional boost because someone didn't reach out when they were supposed to or maybe subtly pointed out that I could live up to more of my potential. (I'm exhausted! I can't do any more.)

In my research on happiness, I found that what makes you happy is likely to be the same thing that makes other people happy. So, I have a list of things I do towards that end:
take a bath (if I'm dirty)
get a good night's sleep (if I'm underslept)
drink too much*
go out among people
talk to my friends (trying not to burden them)
watch movies and, more so, TV*
exercise outside
meet new people
sail
go to beautiful places, including tops of hills
take care of myself and my home
finish things, blog posts are easy and immediate for example
sign up for new projects like volunteer work and art activities
work
work on something else
eat baked goods
leave my apartment (or desk)
reach out to people
plan things that are likely to actually happen
have a back-up plan
re-frame the issue so that I can see that my happiness is possible
introspect**
have a coffee*

*not actually recommended
**as if I have another option!

Other ideas?

No comments: