Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving

My blog archives reveal that I do a Thanksgiving post about every 2 years. I don't know what that means, but here I am in another even-numbered year, posting about Thankfulness.

Back before my family disperated, we used to always "say thankful" before eating Thanksgiving dinner. I find this deeply moving and have been known to break into tears when giving my own thankful at the table. (But then, when have I ever not broken into tears? I'm a passionate person.)

Blogging about thankfulness gets a little redundant over the years. I've been blogging for 4.5 years, and I think I've already given thanks for everything.

I'm thankful for:
  • the health and happiness of my family and friends
  • the ongoing support and love of my family and friends
  • being employable; that someone is willing to pay me to do work I love
  • the technology of the bicycle
  • how beautiful and interesting San Francisco is; how I never tire of it
  • creativity in myself and those near me
  • idealism in myself and those I have surrounded myself with
  • the strength to do the right thing even when it's painful
  • that leggings are back in style because they make biking in a dress easier
  • my health, my body's ability to heal itself, my mind, and that people sometimes don't mind looking at me
  • communications technology such as mobile phones, email and blogs
  • regime change

I remembered today how one year when Grayson and I were living together, he didn't open his birthday presents on his birthday (which was yesterday). After about a week, I decided that his birthday presents had now become Christmas presents because he clearly wasn't excited enough about them. Maybe if he had to wait another month he would become curious. But I was deflated. Back then, I always needed something to look forward to, something to plan. Maybe I was under-stimulated at work. I no longer have those ants under my skin. I'm thankful for that.

Bernal Hill is calling to me to walk on it before "dinner" at 3. I'll do a follow up post if I think of anything else.

No comments: