Monday, November 17, 2008

love is patient...

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preserves."
1 Corinthians 13:4-7

I find this quote profoundly inspiring and completely impossible. Not envy or boast? Not easily angered? No record of wrongs? what am I a rock? I am certainly no island.

But this quote is running through my mind today because of something my friend said last night about being patient with love. I wonder if I have one patient bone. I mean, in Om Shanti Om on Saturday night, the guy was reincarnated to avenge his love's death, but he still never got the girl. (It was pretty much the greatest silly fun ever, esp when he dances with the water falling on him.) Maybe it just doesn't happen for some people. I think carrying love across lifetimes counts as patient. Of course, as KT said when I referenced High Fidelity the other day: "That's just someone's story." It isn't (necessarily) my story.

My boss said that today's theme was "your job"... that is, what is your job, and what isn't your job. I should not be doing finance's job (despite their efforts). I am the one who has to tell his boss when someone who doesn't report to him made the wrong call about the direction of a project (that can continue to be directed).

Just thinking this through now (when am I not? I'm impatient, remember?) maybe my job in this incarnation has something to do with being patient with love. The weakness in that theory is I believe that I am the way I am because of things that have happened to me in this lifetime. But who knows?

I'm going to stop typing now and continue to repeat that quote to myself on my own.

5 comments:

Nigel said...

That quote is a perfect example of the type of thought that would drive me mad in a relationship. Is that type of love impossible, or does it just show that I haven't found it yet and need to move on?

Usually I come to the conclusion that it's both impossible and I haven't found it yet. Which means, I suppose, that I lose no matter what. Maybe I need to think about that if I'm ever going to have a successful relationship.

Mom said...

Oh, Nigel... as I understand it, that love comes from inside you, not from the relationship or the person.

But, hey, no one should ever listen to me considering my stats.

Nigel said...

It comes from inside you, but I always figured it needs the right person to bring it out. That does give me something else to think about though...

Mom said...

I think expecting another person to bring patience out in me would be too much to ask. The right yoga pose maybe....

Kristin Tieche said...

Nigel said: "It comes from inside you, but I always figured it needs the right person to bring it out." Which I totally agree with. Some people bring the best out in you. Some people never fail to bring the ugly side out.

I am also going to recall the notion of the Trifecta here. This seems to be what I'm currently grappling with. Again, Nigel, you asked whether you have not found it and need to move on. Try asking yourself the three questions: does it make sense? does it feel good? does it inspire you?