Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Lingering election thoughts

On election night, Marie Lyse and I rode our bikes past City Hall in hopes of finding a party. We found one guy, riding his bike around too, who said "Gosh, I thought this place would be a mad house." The 3 of us were surprised.

On the other hand, Danielle said that Union Square had "action", and that's a major civic destination from a planning perspective. As I already mentioned, we found significant happenings in the Mission. In this article, John King makes observations about what these neighborhood revelries mean about the way we live in our City. The observations of my community do not support his thesis, but he furthers one of San Francisco's stereotypes -- that it's a city that's really just a bunch of small towns near each other.

At my gallery party last Friday night, everyone was talking about the election. I made the comment that it was "mostly good, except for that one small thing." A fellow artist didn't find my irony amusing. "It didn't feel like a small thing to me," she replied.
Repeal Prop 8

No comments: