Monday, February 28, 2005

news

1) my nalgene cantine (the one I could roll up into a very small ball when I finished my water) broke. It lasted 8 months -- not worth it! My recommendation: stick to hard case.

2) the Bay Area's regional ridesharing contract, which has always been run by a small non-profit, was just awarded the private sector. This is part of a nation-wide shift away from what is good for the people and towards what is good for the rich, for business, towards major corporations. Parsons Brinkerhoff, the consulting firm that won the project, is a huge, multimational corporation. What this means? People have to spend more time working in order to earn more money for other people who don't need it.

I went kayaking on the Bay last Saturday. (It was an awesome tour of the southern waterfront where they are trying to put the recreational "Bay Trail" planned to circle the entire Bay.) My kayaking buddy, Forrest, thinks that this (point #2 above, the lack of democracy in America, the war...) are the fault of this country's puritanical roots. (Governments in Europe seem to care a little more about people and small business.) This theory sounds reasonable to me. I want out. As soon as I can make some money, that is.

No comments: