Tuesday, February 01, 2005

French class

I have French class on Tuesday nights, in addition to my more informal French conversation group that is sometimes on Monday nights, and usually every other week (next week we are going to a French film instead). My teacher (for my actual class) is from Nante. Incidentally, I have heard from several French sources that Nante is a very desirable place to live in France (en vogue, as it were). Anyway, she is pretty hard-core. Today, I got totally kicked to the curb after saying the wrong word for "60" and saying "percent" too much like "person" -- the opportunity to finish that sentence was not longer open to me.

She's started with some good basics of pronunciation like vowels and consonants. Of course, I struggle most with the "u" sound. Now she is going over other stuff I know but can never remember when I open my mouth to speak. I am neither the weakest nor the strongest speaker, but it does appear that lots of my classmates have looser tongues that I have. The teacher speaks only French to us, but unlike L'Atalier 9, the students seem to speak a whole lot of English (which is annoying). Interestingly, I would say about half the students have a maternal language other than English. The teacher is totally amazing as she speaks perfectly English, French, Spanish and Portuguese (as far as I can tell).

I think I mentioned that I used to only be able to understand Stephanie (my teacher at L'Atalier) when she spoke French and no one else. Well, my comprehension of my current teach is improving exponentially. Soon, I will only be able to understand French women.... Anyway, in addition to class, group, and the enormous amount of homework she is giving us, I plan to see a French film every other week. Please send your suggestions.

No comments: