Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Sue Grafton

I learned today that Sue Grafton began writing her enormously successful murder mystery novels in response to anger at her husband:
"She got the idea for her first mystery novel while she was in the middle of a custody battle with her second husband. She started fantasizing about murdering him, but she said, "I knew I couldn't pull it off. So I decided to just put this in a book and get paid for it." She took five years to write the novel, and she spent a lot of that time researching things such as insurance fraud, toxicology, how to pick a lock, and how to handle a gun. She finally published the book in 1982 as "A" Is for Alibi, and it was a huge success." -The Writers' Almanac
Talk about constructive channeling of destructive forces!

When I had my first humilation (that felt like heartbreak, but I wasn't ready yet for that!) in college, I began running. I imagined each stomp of my foot on to the earth to be squashing his head. I ended up with shin splints. (I would give that an "A" for effort anyway.)

I think the humor intended in my last post may not have been completely transparent. That said, I've been thinking more about my own capacity for change, and I realized that I've actually changed a lot. For example, I used to think that if I just waited long enough and wished hard enough that I could make someone love me who doesn't. I must have thought I was fundimentally Lovable that time might make that clear to others. I still have little jokes I like to say along these lines ("Have you SEEN me?") but I also know that it doesn't make anything better to try to convince someone to love me. In fact, it messes with the power dynamic in a destructive way, and nobody wins.

Believe it or not, I'm kind of tired of talking about relationships. I want off this pony ride. My dolly is tired of this game....

1 comment:

Eastcoastdweller said...

It is definitely an exhausting pony ride, this thing called relationships.

Up and down it goes, tears and smiles it squeezes out in turn, joy and sorrow it mingles.