Sunday, May 06, 2007

Belly Button Rings

My life continues to amaze me.

For example, I had another gallery opening yesterday. I told a few of my friends about it, and one thing led to another. I didn't encourage everyone to stay, but we still ended up with 9 people at dinner after the party ended (10 pm). Incidentally, I've already sold 2 pieces -- newish ones -- which have been up less than a week!

My coworker has this friend, a guy who works for our company. She's told me he always asks if women (he hasn't met yet) are "hot". I asked her what this meant to him, and she said, "he's into breasts." So, I tell myself, that means he's not going to think I'm hot. Good to know. So, half way thru the night, my coworker tells me that her friend thinks I'm adorable. I say: "but he's into breasts."
She says: "I think he really likes your photography, and it changed the way he sees you."

So, they had this friend who was having a "party" which turned out to mean 6 people drinking on their living room. OK. I don't remember how it came up, but it turned out that every other woman there had a belly button ring. I don't have one. I have tattoo on my ass, but no belly button ring. Long ago, I learned that my belly button has a perfect "shelf" for a ring, but I have no desire for one. They tried to convince me that I should get one. "It's just not me," I said.

We danced, and it was super fun.

Sailing today was fantastic. It was Tyler's Birthday, and we had a beer afterward to celebrate (and bc we like it).

I then met Julie and her friend Cynthia to see a dance performance at Zellerbach Hall. Sylvie Guillem and Akram Kham did a dance they called "Sacred Monsters" that was sort of a hybrid of ballet and classical Indian dance. The music, instruments and singing, was also performed on stage. I want to read the program and say something really profound about it, but for now I will just say that it was borderline life changing.

Akram spent some time talking about how he can dance as Shiva considering that Shiva had hair and Akram is completely bald. My favorite part was when Akram did these various dance movements and asked if each one was right -- it was so poignant to think of all the decisions we make in our lives, wonder if they are the right one, when really every little thing is just a decision without value. They are "right" because they are.

1 comment:

Tyler said...

Yay beer! And double yay, internets!