Monday, November 12, 2007

Saturday at Shek O beach etc.


When we first arrived, we were surrounded by little boys playing in the same way all dressed in white shirts, black shorts, and red hats.

A group of girls in turquoise shirts played on the beach. Here are a few of them.

Juliette and Guillaume on the bus

Me and Juliette on on the Tram

I took a ton of photos of the tram -- it's so slow; we were on it for about a million years. But trams are cute! Here, they're also wrapped....

The other remarkable thing about Saturday was the lunch. I have fond memories of the morning glories in spicy sauce and my deep fried calamari (you know it!). Juliette got a crab.

Film in Hong Kong is booming. They were making the next spider man movie on the escalators Friday and over the weekend. J&G's office was hosting the filming of another movie, made from a cartoon and starring Kristin Scott Thomas. (G joked that he saw her in the elevator and slapped her ass.) Their employer sent an email to all employees: "you are invited to be an extra in the movie. Asians will be paid X; Caucasians will be paid 2X." I guess it's a matter of supply and demand...?

So, from the beach and the tram, G headed to the office. J and I went back to the apartment to wash up before dinner. We went to Ashvin's for dinner. He just moved into his furnished apartment on the Kowloon side of the water. His place is really nice, but it's funny to look into the windows of the other apartments -- they are all furnished exactly the same: white, modern, metalic, mirrored, sparse.... Every apartment had angled windows onto the water. He made Maracian (where he is from) food for us: chicken, onion, curry powder, cream, banana.... It was good.

Over dinner, they got me to tell some of my dating stories. I told them one I haven't posted here yet. I began telling this guy I was on a date with about my work. He said: “I don’t care what you do for work. I only care that you are beautiful.”

My companions had quite a reaction to this story. Ashvin was incredulous; he said: "that sounds like a line from a movie."
Juliette said: "did he ask you if you can cook? That’s the other thing that women are for, you know.
Me: I think he did….

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's me again. Just to thank you for the last group of beautiful pictures and vivid discriptions of where you were, where you eat, and what you ate. I can almost smell the food. You are great. I wish I was there with you. You sure know where to go and how to spend your time. I take my hat off to you!

Mom said...

Thanks. Who are you?

Anonymous said...

I am an anonymous admirer. I always wanted to travel around the world, and do what you are doing, but I was too chicken to do it alone. May be one of these days, after reading about and looking enough at the beautiful pictures you are kind enough to keep sharing, I will not be able to curb my appetite and instead I would get the courage to do it. Thank you again. Keep having fun and keep sharing:)

Mom said...

It doesn't take courage. It takes stupidity which is a much easier thing to come by if you think about it. Trust me. Book a budget tour if you dislike being alone. I hate being alone. Make friends on the internet from around the world and meet up with them. I have learned that a life of hesitation isn't worth living.