Thursday, November 25, 2004

Thanksgiving

Of course, I have running through my mind all sorts of stories that I haven't recorded for you yet, but then I realized that today is the day to think about what we are thankful for, and it seemed like a better idea to do a blog on that....

Today, I am thankful for all the people everywhere trying fighting against corruption in government and for real democracy.
I am thankful for idealism, even when it seems impossible to realize.
I am thankful for everyone who works to make the world a better place when it would be so much easier, no, not easier, more immediate just to try to live.
I am thankful for friendship, most immediately my friends here in Paris who have been so kind to and supportive of me even though we only just met, and for all my old friends who I miss so much.
I am thankful for stinky cheese, red wine, kir, pastry, chocolate crepe and decaf espresso (because it doesn't make me feel horribly depressed 3 hours later like regular coffee does).
I am thankful that I do not have a toothache, that I am in good health, that my parents are alive and relatively healthy.
I am thankful for sunshine, for summer, for wool blankets in winter, and sweaters and scarves, hats and gloves.
I am thankful that I have a roof over my head no matter where I go and enough food to eat (sometimes too much).
I am thankful to the B/G family for being such kind and generous hosts all this time, and to the Poiriers for sharing their apartment with me too.
I am thankful for all the people working to feed the hungry, house the homeless, and cure the sick.
I am thankful for clean water to drink.
I am thankful I can see, because Paris is beautiful but it usual does not sound, smell or feel that great.
I am thankful for sleep, when it comes.
I am thankful that my body is able to walk a long way without getting too tired, because I really enjoy walking.
I am thankful for my bicycle and all its years of service to me and I hope it is still waiting for me in my garage on Capp Street.
I am thankful for my subletter and my landlord.
I am thankful that I am lucky enough to be able to cut loose and move to Europe for 5 months....
I am thankful to the people I know in good relationships showing the rest of us that healthy love is possible.
I am thankful for literature, because it brings me so much happiness.
I am thankful for blogger.com, because I really like my blog.
I am thankful for the internet.
I am thankful for my education and for all the people who believe in me: past, present and future.
...

More than anything, right at this moment, I am thankful for true friendship.

No comments: