Monday, November 29, 2004

No dreams

I returned to class again today after being out late seeing some local bands at this scottish bar called the Lizard Lounge (which I might have mentioned before). My teacher Stephanie sang with a band called The Loved Ones about broken hearts and missed connections. Maybe it was part of her performance, but she spoke about trying to date an English guy who could never tell her how he felt about her. She has a very animated style of singing, and most of their songs seemed to be covers. Before her, a scottish singer/songwriter played some hilarious tunes about having nothing in his apartment, stray dogs, and trying to speak French. We got on his mailing list!

I got home about 12:30, and as usual (these days) had trouble sleeping. Looking at the clock might disrupt my imminent slumber, so I don't know how long it took me, but I think it was close to 3 by the time I finally lost consciousness. I don't remember any dreams, and waking up for class this morning was as painful as I ever remember getting up in the morning being. I think there is really something wrong with getting out of bed before the sun has risen.

One of the teachers/owners didn't show up, so classes were combined. I have a new teacher, Sandra, who comes highly recommended, and I am lumped in with the advanced students. Now, I can perfectly understand most everything that Stephanie says, but I can't understand Sandra at all. No, she doesn't have an accent or anything. I spent my 4 hours of class drifting in and out of consciousness, understanding about 50 percent when I paid attention. it's like being back in regular school again. Of course, I need to learn to understand other french people besides Stephanie, so, I think I will learn more in this new situation. Another trial by fire, if you will.

There are about 6 other students in my class, none of whom are named Lilia (did I mention that that was the name of the Mexican girl from last week? I opted to be called Lily to avoid confusion.). Some of them I already knew from chats at break time, and some are entirely new to me. I think 3 are American, 1 Polish girl, and 2 Kiwis. The Polish girl is incredibly cute and so are the Kiwis. Everyone speaks better French than I do. Again, I live in fear I will be demoted to the beginner class.

I have promised to cook a Mexican dinner tonight for Mido and Jean Pierre. Tomorrow I move to Montmartre. I was really worried about living alone and feeling isolated, but I seem to have been able to fill up my dance card for the week already. I am starting to feel like everything is falling into place....

No comments: