Sunday, April 17, 2005

on the little piece of paper

I keep a little piece of paper (the back of a credit card offer or something like that) next to the computer, and when I think of words of wisdom to put in the blog, I jot them down. My hope at the time is that I will add them next time I feel moved to blog, but, well, here's the reality:

"At a certain point, everything is a coincidence." Now, I have absolutely no idea what I was thinking when I wrote that down.

"I have fallen back in love with San Francisco." Ah, yes, that I understand, and it's true. It took some time, but I feel it now. The question is: what do I do with it? I sometimes go through life thinking (and it is entirely my mother's fault) that if I am in love, all the answers will be obvious. Ha! I think that was back in the day when being in love meant making babies and your love was your career.

It's been a pretty debauched weekend so far (and I still have another event tonight! "The end of suburbia" dinner party at Suzahna's). Last night was a dinner party and 2 party parties; the final one involved a home karaoke machine. If I had money to burn, that would be the first thing I would buy for myself! All parties were within 0.5 mile of my house, yet when I left the final one at 1:40 AM, and Shanti and Marshall got on their bikes (I was on foot), I had absolutely no idea in which direction I lived. I felt like a small furry animal who lives underground, closing my eyes and walking down the populated sidewalk in some general direction pulled only by my core.

What else should I fill you in on? I ran 3 times this week, which is of course, the goal, but I did not meet my goal of 7 hours of exercise. I attended a belly dance class with Elizabeth, and my abdomen still hurts when I laugh or sneeze. Afterwards we went to Zuni Cafe, where both the salad and shoestring fries had identical textures. I ordered the fries as part of a project from a couple weeks ago, where a group of us road our bikes around SF sampling the french fries at all recommended venues. Did I tell you about that already? There was no consensus on the best, but the place at 18th and South Van Ness (Whiz Burger?) might be your best bet. Zuni did not rival them, and they were 4X the price.

I met Anne and Ray at the Monkey Club at 21st and Bryant on Friday night. It's a cute little bar with tasty cocktails and a good happy hour. I would go there again. We were meeting their friends who have a juice company called Adina, sort of herbal infusion juice. Nice, and good with vodka. One of my favorite galleries, 66 Balmy, had their opening Friday night. The exhibition is the work of Nicholas Coley who seems to be doing beige streetscapes a la Diebenkorn, but with really cool brush strokes and use of purple in the shadows. Thursday I attended another gallery opening at the Theater Artaud. The art was nothing special but my companion and I had a really fun moment over a painting of chickens on pedestals with falling... eyes?.. and either shrubbery or green high-rises in the background. Also wonderful was that they served sangria, and you know how I feel about sangria!

No comments: