Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Forget Safety [update]

Rob Brezsney has once again selected a little wisdom for us:
Thoreau: "Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something."

Rumi (as translated by Coleman Barks):
"Forget safety.
Live where you fear to live.
Destroy your reputation.
Be notorious.
I have tried prudent planning
long enough.
From now
on, I'll be mad."

Last night, as I rode my bike over the hill back towards home from my art class in the fabulous warm sunlight, I thought to myself, wouldn't it be fabulous to get some friends together and go the beach right this minute for some cool air, salty waves, sand between the toes kind of action! So, after checking my email, I did. I called 12 of my favorite people in the Bay Area and not one of them could rush off to the beach at a moments notice on an unexpectedly beautiful day.

Here are some of the excuses I heard:
* By the time we got there it would be my bedtime, and I am so tired.
* I run tonight. (Me: I can run. We can run at the beach.) No, but I am have been having this problem with my foot, so I can only run under close surveillance of my trainer, and our appointment is tonight.
* I am already out in the beautiful weather (Bernal Heights, not the beach) with someone else.
* I have bongo class with my roommate.
* I have rehearsal for a women's music performance in Alameda.
* And several "I didn't get your call in time. That would have been perfect!" And to that I ask, "What is the point of having a cel phone if you can't cut class and go to the beach at a moment's notice."

Oh, did I mention I was cutting class? Yeah (guilty expression), while I loved my French class in Paris, the one here makes me miserable. I think I'll drop it. This is part of my ongoing effort to be passionately in love with myself and my life.

Speaking of which, Rob Brezsney says that the last few and next few weeks suck. This has certainly been true of the last few. Astrologyzone (one that Kristin recommended) said no such thing. Yeah, in my spare time I am going to study who provides the most accurate horoscopes. Not.

PS, as a brief update to my effort to get to the beach last night, I heard back from another friend I unsuccessfully summoned for the adventure. Matt says I always call him when he is on BART. His phone has been broken, losing numbers and the like (yes, this is true). So, he went to the beach and looked for me. Alas, if I had only known, I would have been there to be found!

No comments: