Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Grateful

Sunday night, my mother, 2 longtime friends (the Shafarman's), and I went to a benefit poetry reading on gratefulness at the Herbst Theater. It also included musical performances including a tambora (Indian drone instrument) and singing, and spiritual conversations with the movement's leaders. I took notes in the dark on a scrap of paper from my mother's notebook.

Brother David and Roshi Jones reminded us that happiness comes from gratefulness. It is gratefulness without reference -- that is, you aren't keeping score. Every moment is an opportunity to enjoy, even if it is a lesson. Maintaining and element of surprise in life also contributes towards happiness. As I type this, I remind myself of this poem I particularly loved, "Misgivings" by William Matthews, about keeping a freshness in relationship. If poetry is not surprising, they said, it isn't good poetry.

My mother and the others were particularly excited to hear Jane Hirshfield read her poetry, and I found her poetry particularly surprising. She talked about being cleansed by poetry. Her poems called to its listeners to be grateful and open to all of the gifts life brings us. The Shafarman's were also very excited about Coleman Barks, who was completely adorable and did a little dance when he read some of his translations.

I don't know much about religion bc I mostly enjoy people one at a time in the freshness of their own ideas. But I have enjoyed many wonderfully thoughtful conversations with people who get a lot from organized religion. The distinction between religion and spirituality makes me a little uncomfortable for my own purposes. But I was inspired by the event to approach life with more gratefulness... to see all things as opportunities, as gifts.

No comments: