Friday, February 22, 2008

A Case for Drinking Locally

Languedoc wines to be shipped under sail to save carbon

My ex-boyfriend's ex-sister-in-law (that is, his brother's ex-wife) recently sent me a reverse getting-to-know you email. That is, you fill it out for your friends to find out how well you know each other. She knows me way better than I thought, and this was indicated with remarks on my laugh and my love for red wine... among other things. I was impressed.

I also recently clipped an article on reducing your carbon footprint with your drinking habits. I've been trying to buy organic wine (I like the Blue Hills Cabernet from TJ's best for the price), but when faced with a choice between organic and local, I'm at a loss.

Here in San Francisco, we are so blessed with beverage choices, it's almost embarrassing. World-class wine and beer is made a stone's throw from my house. This article I read explained that the carbon impact of organic vs. not organic is negligible compared with the carbon impact of transporting our beverages from overseas. In addition, glass is heavy -- a huge portion of the carbon footprint of your drinking habit is from it's container. So, when faced with a choice of beverage, I suggest the following order of priorities:
1) non-glass container, such as beer on tap or house wine from a barrel
2) locally-produced
3) organic

2 comments:

Mom said...

Finally tracked down my source for this article:
Wineprint
by Tyler Colman (not to be confused with my friend Tyler who has a different last name)
UC Berkeley Extension arts and letters publication
November 2008 (this date has got to be wrong, but it is the one at the top of the page)
page 6

Anonymous said...

Hey Lilia,

Thanks for the mention! I also had a version of the story in the NY Times

And on my site if you're interested.