Friday, March 21, 2008

My Blog/Body/Boat

Now that I have a job and 4 blogs, liliapilia doesn't always get to ride shotgun. These words were coming into my head as I poured myself another cup of tea just now. I'm not sure how I feel about the auto-centric metaphor. On the one hand, I think it's clever. On the other hand, I don't really want to perpetuate auto-centrism.

Sports metaphors permeate our lives, and not everyone is obsessed with sports. It is an example of how it's still a "man's world" since sports are stereotypically a male-dominated pastime. My office is doing a basketball pool in teams where each university pays a "carbon penalty" based on its footprint. (Worry not, no money is actually involved.) I'm on a team with 2 others who also know nothing about basketball making the exercise that much more ridiculous (in a good way).

I started monitoring comments a while back because I was sometimes annoyed by the words people left. Despite putting my words up on the very-public internet, I am always flattered that anyone cares what I have to say. I use a sitemeter now (reverse-stalking!) but comments used to be the only way I knew anyone else was out there. It's still the only way I know how you're reacting to what I'm saying. But it's also my blog; so, I get to decide what goes on it. If someone says something encouraging in a comment, the rest of the world doesn't necessarily need to know that. If someone says something I don't agree with, I get to decide if I want to open that can on my forum. If someone says something stupid, I'm kind enough to save them the embarrassment of my other 7 readers knowing about it. My blog, my rules.

G has observed that while I am normally incredibly easy going, there are 2 areas where I am not: 1) food and 2) sailing. I eat fresh, healthy, unrefined food only and several times a day. I wash the dirt and (sometimes) pesticides off my vegetables. I see these things not happening in your kitchen, I will either 1) intervene or 2) not eat food from there anymore. When I am skippering a boat, and you're shifting your weight all over the place, you better believe I am going to tell you to keep the &^%$ still. My boat/body, my rules. ...But otherwise, do whatever you want.

When we first started the photo of the day, the main thing I did all day was take pictures. Now, I shoot when I see something interesting and remember to shoot. Sometimes I find myself in panic at the end of the day shooting photos out my apartment window or going for a walk specifically to find something photo-worthy. I hate when that happens. At first G thought the point of the project was to make us get outside. I always thought the point of the project is for us to build up our portfolios. Several of my daily photos are now for sale at my gallery (altho admittedly it's been a slow month, and I haven't sold any of the new photos yet).

KT says that we need to post to Velo Vogue every day to sustain and build readership. That's a big responsibility, but we're doing profiles and occasionally scouring flickr for ideas. And, in this case, it actually does mean that we have to get out in public. I do, however, keep an eye out my apartment window too.

No comments: