Saturday, March 01, 2008

Dreams

I'm sitting here literally waiting for paint to dry on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. But the tide is low, and I'm still a bit sick. Last night I went out to troll for Velo Vogue, and the cold air doesn't do my throat any favors. My life is about the change dramatically but for now I am trying to get healthy again.

So, I've been listening to NPR, and the other day they surprised me with a show with a psychic. Several of my friends have sessions with psychics over the phone at least once a year. I find it fascinating, but I don't really get it. Is it reassuring to be told things? Is it more socially acceptable than therapy bc it's quirky?

Anyway, this psychic on the radio was talking about people and their dreams. Not the dreams we have at night, but the dreams we have for our lives. (G says maybe they have trouble being taken seriously bc they call them dreams rather than goals.) I'm talking about the kind of dreams like when I say I am going to be full-time artist or someone else says he's going to be a full-time musician. I know lots of these people, and these "dreams" are more realistic than I imagine.

The psychic was talking about the importance of risk-taking in life, how it is undervalued. Our collective consciousnesses has become drones to an idea of security. Meanwhile (and this is me talking) people are getting laid off right and left. Where's the security there? It makes no sense to me to let myself become a victim of my circumstances. I'd rather follow my bliss. Thank you very much.

The psychic also talked about the temptation of people to "stomp on other people's dreams." She advised against it. My family is getting much better about this as they learn that I can be trusted with myself. My friends who can't take it usually end up being left behind. It was an "aha" moment when Doug sent me a job posting with the preface, "I believe in your dreams. But if you are thinking of getting back into planning, this might be a good job for you." I loved that!

I have a lot of dreams, and some other of them did influence me to apply for that job but ultimately accept a different one. Tyler assures me that it is normal in this economy to change your job, or your emphasis, or to take time off, every year or so. But then, he's "younger and faster.... I'm older and I (need) more insurance." But that's not the point.

My point is just an observation about how we see our own and each other's lives. Good relationships are those where people support the each other's decisions, no matter what they are, when you trust people with themselves. Like in the Mary Oliver poem, you love what you love, but being able to love actively is about trust and letting go like in the Sting song.

No comments: