Monday, March 22, 2010

thoughts on growing up in Berkeley

Sometimes being me is a little lonely. For example, someone on my chat list had a string on nonsense words as their status update ("I wanna pop pop pop. I wanna shasta"). I asked about it. He replied "Don't you remember the commercial from when we were kids?"

My reply? "I wasn't allowed to watch television."

Yeah, I wanna deeply connect with other people. And that's challenging because I grew up in the People's Republic of Berkeley. I learned last week that NBC launched a tv series called Parenthood which is supposed to take place in Berkeley but actually appears nothing like it.

At least my plight is getting some attention. Facebook has been a wonderful opportunity to stay connected with friends from my youth. My little sister and I often observe how easy it is talk to each other compared with a lot of other people in the world. My childhood friends understand things, without explanation, I can never assume that others do. Ages ago, I joined the facebook group Your Mom is So Berkeley where we share one-liners. A NYT article reminded of to check it today: I laughed, I cried, I felt I wasn't alone any more.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't tell you how many times I've had this snippet of a conversation:

"You've never seen ????"

"Nope. Didn't have a television when I was a kid."

Unknown said...

By the way, they have filmed on location in and around Berkeley a few times (in Oscar's, at Fairyland to name the two I have heard of). Some of the houses they use (in LA) are reasonable facsimiles of the type of architecture you'd find in Berkeley, at least in the bits I've seen.

Of course, no one is ever cold in the early evening when outside, which speaks of warm temperatures while filming, and no one ever gets stuck in the ridiculous traffic we call "Dwight Way" and "Ashby between Telegraph and the Claremont".

Mom said...

Really? I watch the show, and haven't recognized any of that. Also, what's with the 40-year-olds having teenage kids? I don't know anyone from BHS who had a kid before they were 35.

Mom said...

Just to clarify, I watch the show on the computer. I still don't have a TV. ;-)