Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Dating question: "Do you have a passport and a library card?"

In the search for lasting love, this is an important question to be asking perspective partners you meet. A NYT article describes a shift in coupling, More Men Marrying Wealthier Women. While I have no trouble finding perspective dates, I'm not married but want to be. My previous two (foreign) boyfriends both had a problem with my career prospects (that they are good). They never asked if it was negotiable, which brings to light that the problem was their egos. But I'm not sure this is true of the typical Bay Area American man. I do have to screen, as the title question indicates, for literate- and worldliness.

A recent article in San Francisco Magazine discussed how many career women who chose to be work-at-home moms are now forced to return to work because their husbands were laid off. In the article, this is particularly humiliating since their skills are grossly out-of-date and thus their earning potential much lower than it was when they chose to leave the workforce. I read somewhere else that we've only been negotiating these issues about 20 years -- we have no role models, no rules or guiding principles, we just have to trust that it's all going to work out.

5 comments:

MCNB said...

That article confused me, but I am just a simple caveman. It just sounds like there is less of an education (and related income) gap, which is precisely what equal rights is all about but I guess social norms are lagging. Still, if anyone asked me that question ("Do you have a passport and a library card?") in a bar or on a first date, I'd find that condescending or obnoxious. No wonder that person is single.

Mom said...

MCNB, I completely agree with you. The article wasn't really about the latest finding about marriage patterns. It was really more about the journalist feeling sorry for herself for being single.

Jym said...

=v= I have a passport but no library card, because I buy books. So that makes me either filthy rich or financially foolish?

Mom said...

Jym, maybe that makes you a person who supports the publishing industry without which we might not have books. Thanks for doing that for us!

Jym said...

=v= You read me like a book! I go out of my way to support small publishers and indie bookstores.

My personal wealth has gotten a little less filthy, though, and I did get a library card recently. It purports to be an "eco" variety of plastic.