Thursday, July 16, 2009

This porridge is too hot....

First thing Saturday morning, I decided to reinstall my operating system. My computer was constantly full and took about 15 minutes to boot up. I recently purchased an external harddrive which made it possible to back everything up. The first shock was that nothing looked right. That I should have expected. I mean, I did expect. Consciously.

The second shock was that I couldn't connect to the internet. Dell wouldn't talk to me bc my warranty is expired. AT&T told me they could only help with the network. It turned out I needed to download some drivers that Dell had apparently forgotten to send me CDs for when I bought the computer. I downloaded some drivers at a friend's house, but they were only some of the right ones.

At this point, I had had it. The same friends had worked with a guy in Noe Valley to fix her computer, and it was a good experience. I called him. I also stopped by a place near my house where the guy was vague and looked bored when I spoke. The Noe Valley guy called me back and told me was on vacation, but it sounded like I could fix it myself. I just needed those drivers.

I went back to the place near my house. I told them I could do it myself, but this is a "boy's job." The guy said "apparently not." Finally, he told me I should drop it off, but they couldn't work on it until Sunday (this was Tuesday). I wonder why I would do that.

At this point, I could connect to wi-fi and had adjusted the interface to my preferences. But my computer and wi-fi at home have never worked for me (the wi-fi works for others, and I can connect to wi-fi other places.). I went to a cafe and started downloading and installing all the drivers (having no idea which one was what I needed -- most were not). The cafe power went out. I went to another cafe and downloaded and installed more drivers. They closed. The computer still wouldn't connect to the dsl at home.

Yesterday, I brought the computer to work to download and install more drivers. After 5 pm, under the direction of our brilliant Planner I, I, apparently, installed the right driver finally. Last night, after dinner with friends, I was able to watch the most recent episode of The Bachelorette on the internet. I was horrified by her choice.

3 comments:

Tyler said...

Ah. You should have called my little brother. He fixes computers for his summer job. baycomputerhelp.com

glad you got it working yourself though. Good skill to have.

Mom said...

Tyler, I almost called you.

What does your brother charge?

Tyler said...

I think around 30 an hour