Tuesday, July 07, 2009

All my exes live in Texas; that's why I live in Tenesse.

Charlotte from Sex in the City once said "I've been dating for 20 years. I'm exhausted." That pretty much summarizes my feelings on the subject recently... or should I say usually.

My love life can be broke down into 5-year increments:
Age 16-22: serial monogamy
22-27: serious LTR
27-32: single
32-38: serial monogamy
...And here I am, tired of all the options.

For a long time, I noticed that all my exes remained single. I wondered if I permanently damage them. My sister said I pick commitment-phobic men.

My highschool sweetheart got married a few years back. (I am still close with his parents.) (I guess he had enough time to recover from whatever damage I did to him.) Then, my college boyfriend friended me on Facebook, and I learned that he is married too. Today, I got an email that another former boyfriend from that cohort who I have been good friends with for years since is planning to get hitched. I wonder if I wait long enough, if the wave of my boyfriends getting married will reach the guy I am currently dating, and he'll marry me.

What is the appropriate reaction to this information? Can you guess?

You guessed it! I cyber-stalked the boyfriend after him to see if he's married yet.

I didn't find out if he's married, but I did find out that he's placing in full marathons and winning regional awards for his cooking (he's a chef at an upscale Italian restaurant). If he isn't married, he's certainly using his time well anyway. He also strangely resembles a more recent boyfriend, and I hadn't noticed that resemblance before.

The one after that is definitely single. We talk all the time.

No comments: