Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Eligible-Bachelor Paradox

The Eligible-Bachelor Paradox: How economics and game theory explain the shortage of available, appealing men. By Mark Gimein, Posted Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Gimein applies auction/game theory to the lack of eligible men in their 30s. "Where have all the most appealing men gone? Married young, most of them—and sometimes to women whose most salient characteristic was not their beauty, or passion, or intellect, but their decisiveness." While I plead guilty to being hopeless indecisive (and an excellent catch), I don't see his theory supported in my social circle and neither did the Slate Gabfest Members. It's true that I know many eligible women in their 30s and very few men. But I agree with the Gabbers that most people marry within their bidding rank (5s marry 5s, 8s marry 8s). I also note that just as many of the "bad ones" are taken as the "good ones". And, as alluded to in the essay, maybe getting married isn't the goal. Maybe it's just something we haven't done yet.

No comments: