Sunday, March 04, 2007

Update

It's been less than a week since my last post, but it feels like much longer. I realize I owe you the rest on the NVC event. But here's what's been going on with me:

On Monday, I went back to the South Bay for a second interview with the big boss. We chatted for about 10 minutes when she said: "well, clearly, you're a culture fit, and" she motioned to my resume "clearly, you can do that job. So, how much money do you want?" (I'm paraphrasing in case it comes to that.) The short version is that I will be working down there 30 hours a week (3 or 4 days) for the next "26 weeks" (as my contract says). I'm thrilled and also completely exhausted already.

I started work on Thursday (altho, technically, my contract hadn't begun yet). This time, I took the correct shuttle (only after nearly getting on the wrong one for yet another company). The wifi on the shuttle worked OK, but I wasn't able to get my podcasts. I was able to surf pretty well. Of course, this is my job now, and we're talking about ways to improve on that... and if it's worth it to improve it.

The Professor and I went to first Thursday (when the downtown galleries are open late). One gallery (on the second floor of 77 Geary) had a really cool subway painting. Some friends of his from Oakland were having an opening party on 9th Street. So, we trekked up there for that. My favorite piece was a painting of a rather architecturally-bland hotel in yellow. His friend had made a huge horse out of styrofoam.

Friday night, my gallery had its party, and many folks came. I speculated about how I couldn't get myself a gig in the public or non-profit sectors, but it has been easy to find work in big business (non-transportation industry -- I now have 2). My bike guy suggested that it was my mascara. I don't know what that means. Shortly after, we got to speculating about what life is all about. We came to the conclusion that meaning is found in things that grow on their own: plants, work, relationships.... Things where you plant the seed and the rest happens on its own and surprises you.

Sailing yesterday was OK, but the company was good. My dinner plans ended early; so, I found myself watching a movie, Gloomy Sunday (after the Hungarian suicide song), with some of my girlfriends. I wondered how many women across the city were watching dvds on couches at that very moment. The film was really good, and Erika Marozsán is stunningly beautiful. Her character, however, wasn't very complex, and this lessened the effectiveness of the story. Afterall, pretty girls are a dime a dozen. Why did this one cause so much trouble?

I sit at the gallery today. I dropped one of my classes, but I need to catch up on the other one. I went for a run, which felt really good. I need to start training on the bike again. This cafe is loud.

No comments: