Saturday, July 07, 2007

Stumbling from defeat to defeat

Someone at the gallery made a print of this quote: "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." -Anais Nin. Except that I think the artist at my gallery wrote "Love" instead of "Life". I looked it up on the ever-reliable interweb and found it this way. I also found the title to this post as part of a less-interesting longer quote.

Most of my life I've worried that people didn't like me so much as think I'm pretty. After a while, I realized that I'm not actually THAT pretty. But I had the experience again last night at my gallery opening party. I spent a long time chatting with a guy about my work, even gave him my card, but I think he was more interested in the artist than the work. Alas!

Then a bunch of us went to Revolution for drinks, and Kristin and I picked up 3 20-year-old boys. One asked me how old I am, which offended me, but he saved himself by saying that he knew I was older because I was completely comfortable in a bar. We tried to go to another bar, but the boys would have been carded. The one I liked didn't seem inclined to make out with me in an alley someplace. So, Kristin and I left them at Cancun and went home.

2 comments:

Kristin Tieche said...

Why the hell did we have to meet underage guys? What fun is that?

Eastcoastdweller said...

Okay, here's an easy compromise: you're likeable AND pretty.