Thursday, June 28, 2007

Why I love the sailing club

I love sailing. I love to go out and get wet, harness the power of the wind to create our own private, real, roller coaster where the boat could capsize and I would land on nice soft water. Water is pretty and so is sun and sky; so, it's also a strong aesthetic experience. Sailing gives me perma-grin.

One of my favorite recent lines (from myself) is that I took up sailing because I like to drink and the two just go together. But that's not the whole truth. I do like drinking with the sailors after a good day on the water, but that's not the reason I do it. I like to sail for a few hours and then sit on the bench for a few hours looking at the water. I can give or take the booze.

Tyler and I have decided that I need to be more guarded at the club regarding my personal life. My nature is to share, but it gives the sailors wrong ideas. It will be an interesting experiment.

I went out on a JY with Javier today, and it totally rocked. Wind and waves abounded, and we got plenty of wet without even trying. It was almost as good as the day when there was no wind; so, Tyler and I decided that we were pirates and would take over and capsize the other boats out there (with people we like on them). Today, I was able to lean all the way out, holding the trapeze handle and with my feet under the strap and run my arm along the surface of the water... to balance the heeling boat, of course.

After that fabulousness, I sat on the bench and discussed pie at length with Ed. Ed is a roly-poly, ~50-something man with plenty of vinegar in his personality who frequents the club. (I prefer my people with some vinegar... like fish and chips.) Yes, we discussed pie. I can't imagine anything cooler.

No comments: