Sunday, June 03, 2007

A Complete Lack of Moss

My mother pointed out, from her chateau hideout in the French countryside, that there’s no moss growing around me. Thursday was an intense day of sailing before the quarterly membership meeting. I pulled some muscles, and I think I sprained my hand. I’m almost better now. Much wind and waves pushed us around. I capsized, tho the boat itself righted, and I am here to report that those lifejacket thingies actually do make you float even fully, warmly, heavily, and wetly clothed. Karen said I “sacrificed” myself – I hope she and Jason were grateful! Although, truthfully, she, wetsuited, sacrificed herself a few times.

The food at the dinner tasted completely amazing. I don’t know how they did it. Chicken, Moroccan bean soup thingy, tabuli, baklava, hummus, homemade pita… YUM! Jason said I reminded him of the character Marion Ravenwood from Indian Jones (“who drank men under the table and put Indiana Jones out with a kiss”) – my new favorite compliment ever. But mostly we cried the whole time because Tyler wasn’t there.

I already told you about Friday. Saturday night, I saw Hairspray in Dolores Park with Gabe. It was possibly the worst movie I’ve ever seen but fun anyway. Again, it misted on us, but we had blankets and hot toddy.

Today, Sultan and I looked at real estate in Dogpatch. Wouldn’t it be so awesome to say you live in a neighborhood called “Dogpatch”? Unfortunately, we only found lofts to look at, and I don’t want a loft.

Tonight I went to yoga. Yoga paraphrase:
• If you run away from a thing, it will find you anyway. If you let it in, it will transform you.
The second one eludes me at the moment, but it might have had something to do with letting yourself feel what you feel and not being afraid of that. Let yourself soften and accept what the world throws you. I guess that’s like making lemonade out of lemons.

Random fact: John Edwards won over his wife on their first date by kissing her on the forehead, and he doesn’t use any hair product at all – not even conditioner.

No comments: