Saturday, July 28, 2007

Jeans

I spent far more hours this afternoon than I wanted trying on jeans. For years, I have either avoided jeans or worn ones that didn't fit. But now, I know enough about my body and clothes and I have enough money for higher standards. I know only to bother with the "relaxed" or "curvy" or "wide legged" styles. At Gap, I took size 8 long and 10 long in Essential, Curvy, and Boot Cut (because they were on sale). They were $50. The Curvy 10 longs were OK, but the waist too big, and I don't really want to wear a 10. So, I passed.

I know the Easy Rider jeans at Lucky size 27 long fit me perfectly, but they're $100 and I already have a pair. I asked them if they have a darker color, but they don't.

Ann Taylor is usually a safe, if conservative bet, but they aren't carrying any casual non-capri pants this season.

Diesel was right there, and I have heard about Diesel jeans -- mostly that they are ridiculously expensive ($180). I'm willing to pay for jeans that fit; so, I thought I would give them a chance. I explained my situation to the sales lady, and she selected a few for me to try. They didn't fit. I nearly burst into tears.

I was going to give up, but I happened to glance into Old Navy which has never made clothes for my body. They have a new selection of jean styles: the Diva, the Sweetheart, and the Flirt. The Sweetheart have a "relaxed leg". After trying on at least 10 of them (Old Navy clothes vary within a size), I bought 2 of the 6 longs. They were $30.

Do you already know what I am about to say? By now, I know myself pretty well. I know what size I wear. I know which styles might fit me. I know what looks good on my body. But I still had to try on about 30 jeans today. Each pair, I truly, madly, deeply wanted to fit. It was exactly like dating.

2 comments:

Mom said...

I ended up ordering another pair of the Lucky jeans online. I couldn't help it! They're perfect.

This for another post: how weird the dress code is at my office. I've never needed jeans for every workday before. suits, yes, but jeans? weird!

Eastcoastdweller said...

Reminds me of "Cathy" from the comic strip and Her perennial frustration with new swimsuits.

Glad You found a few pairs that You liked!

I'm a guy, of course, and I have jeans that are all the same size, of course, yet some of them fit comfortably and some I just have to endure. I don't understand it.