Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Bride & Prejudice (2004)

I borrowed this movie from the library on a whim. Pride and Prejudice was a very important book for me in high school, and I figured I should see every movie inspired by the book. I didn't even notice that this is a Bollywood musical or that they changed one of the letters in the title. My expectations were very low based on the dvd cover and even lower when I noticed the name, but I didn't figure out the movie's genre until it started playing.

I used to love romantic movies because I used to believe that was possible and consider love stories a lesson for my future. I don't anymore. I avoid them. I told Matt the other day that I'm "cured", but cured of what? And is that good? ...Anyway, that's not what I'm talking about today.

This marriage of Jane Austen and Bollywood is a perfect match! It was fresh and exciting and remarkably true to the book while also believable for a modern Indian family. When the movie ended, I vowed to incorporate more dance into my daily life. We should merge mundane conversations with little songs, bright colors, and some shimmying. Join me, won't you, because I can't do it on my own. Dance with me!

3 comments:

Kristin Tieche said...

While I agree with you more on dancing and singing wearing colorful clothing all the time, I really couldn't stand that movie! It's funny where inspiration pops up!

Anonymous said...

Lilia, you are an inspirational. I haven't seen the movie. I am going to, but I want you to know that I would have loved to dance with you. You are absolutely right. Keep up with the writing.

Eastcoastdweller said...

Any thoughts about "Becoming Jane?"