Saturday, July 28, 2007

Spenger's

My mother used to get shrimp scampi from the "to go" counter, and we would eat it eagerly in our unwashed kitchen or down by the marina on top of the car. I found the images and ideas of the old salty sailors a little scary -- long beards, scratchy booming voices, rough manners.... I took Spenger's for granted although I never wanted to lie on its carpet (like I did most carpets -- even on the BART train).

My best sailing girlfriend, Joyce, finally returned from sailing for 6 weeks in Tonga. Her stories include big waves and staying on course, accidental jibes in ocean passages with high seas, trouble with wind directions.... She told me some of them perched on the edge of our Precision as she gently corrected my point of sail. I told her that I used to say I sail because I like to drink, but now I say if you aren't wet and bruised you aren't really sailing. She said I've become saltier. Under her guidance, I did not crash into anything while docking.

After our little jaunt on the water, we went to Spenger's, where I haven't been in about 25 years, for my fish-and-chips project. I also had to get a Mai Tai. Both were fine, unremarkable. The drink lacked layering and an umbrella but contained lots of fruit. The chips were good if a bit limp. The fish was unimpressive in size and texture and the batter was... not the variety I prefer, more like bread crumbs.

They have a happy hour starting at 9 p.m. where a number of dishes are just 2 dollars. Joyce wanted to order every one on the menu, but I talked her down to 4, then 3. The best one was the shrimp scampi. We ate about one and half, and I took one home in a box.

No comments: