Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Judging a society... or a person

Nelson Mandella said you can judge a society by how it treats its children.
Winston Churchill said you can judge a society by how it treats its prisoners.
The idea being, I guess, that how a society treats its more vulnerable or its (extreme) non-conformists shows its level of humanity. Or maybe it's about how a society protects itself and prepares for its future. We can extrapolate from that how we can judge our own humanity. I think you can judge a person (or yourself) by how they treat the people who love them (you).

1 comment:

Mom said...

You guys are really keeping me on my toes. Bertrand said:
is it possible judging people when you don't have a clue why they act
the way they do ?
is it so much fun judging people, to begin with ? what purpose does it
serve, except sort of proving to yourself you're somewhat better than
they are... think about it.

To which I replied:
It's a well known idea here that when considering if you want to spend your life with a man (for example), find out how he treats his mother ... how he feels about his mother. That will tell you if he will be a good partner. So, I'm not talking about judging random people. I'm talking about judging if someone is a good investment for a relationship that requires trust. None of us likes to be disappointed.

So, no, it isn't fun judging people (OK, it is, a little). It certainly isn't to prove that I'm better than anyone else. I'm filled with flaws. When I consider the way I am with my loved-ones, I see lots of room for improvement. It's good to have goals. If we aren't critical of ourselves and others, how are any of us going to improve? ...Also, it doesn't seem like you should be defensive. You're very good with your sisters and nephew...