Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Asking for what you want

My mother left my father when I was very small and she moved into a house with 2 other single mothers and their daughters. It was near where Berkeley Bowl is now. I was 2; Jana was 3; and Giya was 1. All their stories are interesting, but we'll save them for another time. My mother and I came home after being out all day long, and my mother asked me, "are you hungry?"
I nodded yes.
"What would you like to eat?" she asked me.
"Hanger," I declared.
Of course, this couldn't be right. So, she asked me again and I repeated the same word, several times. We both became increasingly frustrated. Finally, she went into her closet and brought me a wire hanger. I threw myself on the floor sobbing like only a 2-year-old can do.
At this point we were making so much noise that other members of the house came downstairs to see what was going on. My mother explained the situation to Jana and her mother.
"What do you want to eat?" Jana intervened.
"Hanger!" I repeated between sobs when I could get a breath.
"She wants a hamburger." She informed my mother and hers.
So, you can see that I've been honing my skills at asking for exactly what I want since I was very small. I'm much better at it now.

No comments: