Friday, November 20, 2009

SJ Bike ParTAY

Tonight is the San Jose Bike Party, a monthly celebratory bike ride in Silicon Valley. The theme this month is "where's waldo" and people have put up signs all over town. A few of us were talking about going until something happened... we saw the weather forecast. RAIN!

When I first became a San Francisco bike commuter in 1997 (before that I was a Berkeley bike commuter), I used to wear leggings and wool to ride on the rain. I carefully wrapped my work clothes (usually a suit) in plastic bags. This system was preferable to rain gear but involved some risk and carrying clothes.

Then, I went to grad school at Berkeley, and the rain system changed. Since I didn't have to "dress" for school, I bought rain gear to wear over my casual wear and called it. If my clothes got wet, I hung them out in the break room to dry... which occasionally they did (while I wore something else).

But to bike in the rain for fun... that's more than I have in me these days. Adrienne pointed out that this not everyone's attitude. We were particularly impressed that they cap the Worst Day ride at 3,000 participants. You guys go for it!

That said, we're all over the SJBP next time! See you there.

No comments: