Thursday, February 15, 2007

Time Travel

Speaking of heartbreak (Quack quack, speaking of ducks), I stopped by Creativity Explored a couple days ago, and they had a fiber sculpture in their window a little like my aunt Judy, the famous fiber sculptor, used to make. Next month it will have been 2 years since her death. I also saw Donnie Darko recently. Despite all of the times it’s been recommended to me, it was OK. I didn’t share its particular interest in insanity and time travel – I thought it missed the point. To me, time travel is appealing to be with loved ones.

Time travel is the only way that we are all always together – I don't think memory is a strong enough word for it. I have wondered what makes now the moment we live in especially when I first wake from dreaming. Maybe it’s a decision. We can also choose to feel like the real present is the time when we were with the ones we love. I think this makes sleeping so appealing when heartbroken. Of course, I think this also compels us to be careful about how we spend our waking life – to focus on the loves we have.

No comments: