Thursday, February 22, 2007

Hey baby, can I fix your bike?

Yes, you read that right. I just had a lovely second date where a guy I met a couple weeks ago began fixing my bike. There was a roommate crisis which required him to rush off, but first I locked my bike in his office. I’m not sure if the rush-off was intended (even subconsciously) to be passive-aggressive. I’m not sure if the locking of the bike in his office was intended to tie me down. The date was one of my best in a while. I think it was because we were doing something I enjoy doing (rather than sitting around over drinks and talking, which can be boring), and because there was a nice energy going.

I guess the other good date this season was one with The Professor, but he ruined it by telling me, apropos of nothing, in gruesome detail about his then-girlfriend’s miscarriage. I’m still traumatized. Even though it wasn’t meant to be, many other aspects of that date were good.

My flirtation with the young sailor continues. At least now we have each other’s phone numbers. My other sailing buddies say I should just ask him on a date, but I’m just not there. They say I am too friendly with everyone, and the guy I like might not know that… I like him particularly. But I prefer to keep things light and non-committal.

Which reminds me of something else I’ve been meaning to do for a while: write down all my favorite original quotes. When my sailing friend said I was too friendly, I quoted my mother:
“It’s easy to make people feel shitty about themselves. Most people already do. If you want a challenge, why not try to make people feel good about themselves.”
Thus, my “excessive” friendliness. She replied that I do a pretty good job of making her feel good about herself. :-)

Another quote that I love, from Kate Gordon, who I went to grad school with:
“If you are asking yourself these questions (is it happening?), then it isn’t happening.” Or, in other words, when it’s happening, you aren’t questioning it. “When it’s right; it’s right” (not an original quote).

I will continue to jot down these quotes as I remember them.

1 comment:

Eastcoastdweller said...

I like that concept. Take on the challenge of making someone else feel good about him or herself. I like that very much. Thanks for sharing.