Monday, January 15, 2007

Baby, it’s cold out there….

On Saturday, I went sailing. It wasn’t the usual lesson bc the tide was low; so, I went out on a keel boat with a non-teacher cruising sailor. The Bay is gorgeous, and I wasn’t even that cold on the boat. We put up the spinnaker for the way back, and that was my first time using one. A spinnaker is this additional sail, lighter and made out of nylon so usually brightly colored, that provides an more power when the wind isn’t cooperating with the direction you want to go.

Later in the day, Carolyn and I went for a little bike ride along with Bay Trail. My hands went numb from the cold as the sun set north of the Golden Gate. We got back to her place in the dark and began making risotto for dinner. Time spent with Carolyn is always time well-spent, and I left around 11 and got on the 3rd to last BART train back to the City.

It had been a long day, what with sailing and biking and socializing, and I fell asleep on the train. I was listening to my iPod, and the voices must have lulled me sleep too. I woke up at Daly City, the end of the line, to find that there were no more trains heading the other direction. There were a couple other people in my situation. There was also a guy heading further south who offered I could stay at his place. He said that since he is a taxi driver he knows that there isn’t a good way to get from Daly City BART to my place near Mission and 24th Street.

I would love to be able to lead you to believe, even if just for a moment, that I considered his offer. But I didn’t. The attendant told me that I could take the 14 bus. But I didn’t see one right away. So, I decided to ride. Of course, I hadn’t planned on doing any night biking, and I had no lights or even my reflective jacket. The air has also been something like the coldest ever recorded here recently. But I was tired, and I couldn't wait. I biked the 5 miles, and I still have all my fingers and toes.

No comments: