Wednesday, July 28, 2004

[Prague]Cows are everywhere.

Yes, you read that right.  Just like the hearts in SF, there are cows all over Prague painted in various designs.  Some of them are really cool.  In general, I think they are better than the ones in SF.  I keep taking pictures of them, but it does seem a bit silly. 

I am liking it better here today.  Actually, I felt much better yesterday after I put on my pilsner tinted glasses.  Today, I went up to Prague Castle mostly to see Kafka's house and pretend Elizabeth is with me doing research.  It's a tiny turquiose house, not more than 12 x 8 feet in total.  There is a whole row of them on "Golden Alley" that used to be guard houses.  I also saw the changing of the guard and couldn't help but think these young men must be about to burst out laughing. 

I finished reading Amsterdam by Ian McEwan this morning.  It's a bleak view of friendship and relying on another person.  In some cases, I understand that view, but I really hope it doesn't have to  be that way.  The book is cruel.  It displays hypocritical characters, and maybe we all have this quality to some extent, which means to me that we should all live more self-counscious lives.  The book follows his usual structure of one significant event in the beginning guiding all subsequent actions.  I sort of wish he would try something else.

No comments: