Friday, July 30, 2004

The Last Day in Prague

So, I bought a bus ticket to Karlovy Vary (Charles's hot spring), a spa town in western Bohemia, leaving tomorrow morning. I have chosen this place because my guidebook says it has a nice thermal swimming pool open to the public. I am dying for a swim. The spa isn't really available to the general public (only for those with a doctor's perscription). I might go to Baden Baden in Germany next bc the general public actually can enjoy the spa there (assuming they can afford it). However, I am a little worried about finding a place to stay on a Saturday.... I guess we'll see.

Steve says that vandalism of the cows has been a problem. There are billboards I have noticed at bus stops that probably say something like "vandalism of the cows is a national outrage. These cows are installed in 18 cities and they have not been vandalized anywhere else...." There used to be a tank in one plaza, and a local artist painted it pink to protest war. The city repainted it green immediately the next morning. So, one of the cows is by the same artist and he painted it pink with a symbol of a tank on it. This cow was vandalized, which may indicate that the vandalism is politically motivated. [See Steve's comment re: this issue below. However, to Steve's credit, I should mentioned that it is much more likely that I remembered this story wrong than that he is propagating misinformation as Olga accused him.]

Yesterday I went to the 17th Century Vysehrad Citadel south of the center. There is a gorgeous church and cemetary there, and the edge of the citadel is a park with a view of the city and river. The entire inside of the church was painted in an art nouveau style and the outside had a variety of decorations including more of these paintings, and what is it called where you make an image out a lots of tiny different colored chips? The cemetary was also beautiful in similar ways including lovely scultures. I took pictures so I can show you later. Then I meandered back towards the center, enjoying seeing the "real Prague" away from all the crowds.

1 comment:

Stephan von Pohl said...

Hi ho, Olga has corrected my information on the pink cow, accusing me of 'mystifikace' (i.e. spreading misinformation, a serious crime in these parts). It (the cow) was, in fact, army green (like the original tank) and had a red star and the number of said tank painted on it. And it was not by the artist who pulled the 'pink tank' stunt. Glad I got that cleared up. Hope you're enjoying Karlovy Vary and Krumlov.