Saturday, July 31, 2004

[Karlovy Vary]Hot hot hot

It's so hot here, I can hardly think, but I will try to write
something since I am at a computer. I'm here in this medium-sized
spa town in western Bohemia. Steve very kindly looked up a hostel
for me to call when I got here, but unfortunately it was full. I
looked for another place for about 5 minutes, and then took a room
beyond my price range (and twice the price listed in my guidebook
for) for only one night. Tomorrow I will probably backtrack to a
little medeaval town in the south (Cesky Krumlov) because there are
lots of hostels there and I am not ready to leave the Czech Republic
yet.

This is a lovely little place which reminds me of Ashland, OR. Tall,
beautiful buildings line a little river with lots of pedestrian areas
and bridges across (but no sidewalks on the streets). I tried the healing water, and it tasted
horrible (sulfer?) and made me cough, which I think is the idea. Here,
everything is in German and Czech, not English. I went to the
museum, but since I don't understand either of those languages, I didn't
learn much. I did, however, take some cool pictures of the light
fixtures.

I am tired of walking. My left hip has been hurting. But the show
must go on. In a minute, I'll see if I can swim in the pool. That
should cure me.

My last night in Prague was very nice. I met Steve in a beer garden
near the center and watched the light fade blue and the red moon rise
above the terracotta-roofed city. I had my first meal in a
restuarant since starting this trip (and the first in a while bf that
too, since I have been trying to save). I ordered grilled salmon,
which came with grilled veggies as well and totally rocked. The
waiter kept bringing us beer because we didn't ask him to stop (the custom here, says Steve).
Since I've been in Europe I find I sleep really well after a beer or so.

No comments: