Saturday, October 17, 2009

Tonight at Zellerbach

Todd kindly got us guest tickets to Zellerbach tonight. I only discovered Ani in 2005. So, I hadn't seen her preform before, but, watching her, I felt afraid that she would burst into flames on stage she had so much energy. The muscles in her tiny arms rippled as she struck the guitar violently but with obvious purpose. Youtube doesn't offer much official to share; so, I'm posting a recent pirate video because, except for the sound quality, it was similar to what we experienced.

I know this is an old song. Tracey used to say it reminded her of someone she was in love with when living in SE Asia. I told that story to X last year, and he got defensive which is funny because now the song reminds me of him because of its content. He must have known it describes him.

My bitterness bores me when I feel it... which isn't that often. Chatting with a family member about the city vs. the country, I realized that I love the City because I love other people's feelings (ie, art). This family member loves the country, and I'm not sure finds empathy all that fascinating. So, while my own bitterness bores me, Ani's has retained all its strength ...even old bitterness she no longer feels. It doesn't matter that she is now happy and in love, this song about romantic disappointment brought tears to my eyes.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Ani dated somebody at Hampshire when we were there and used to play at the Tavern on campus -- I bet you saw her then! Ooh, I read your blog all the time, but need to say hi to the real you (alas, the danger of the internet). Hope you are well!!!

Mom said...

Hi, Sara. Great to hear from you. I figured I must have heard Ani or knew about her at Hampshire, but I have no recollection of it.

Speaking of which, it turns out one of my friends here now went to Hampshire when we were there: Susan Conrad. Did you know her?

I love seeing photos of your family on picasa. But I should call sometime if not pop in. Hmm.... xoxo

Dottie said...

I love Ani, especially live!

Interesting thoughts about city v. country folk. People assume country people are friendlier, but I never thought so.