Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Be Cool avec bicloo ! (Nantes' bikeshare program)

When I was in France last summer, I did a bike tour of Brittany with my mom. I highly recommend biking in Brittany but bringing your mother is certainly optional.

Nantes isn't technically in Brittany, but it functions as the area's capital. It's a gorgeous, mellow city with an excellent transportation system including light rail, bus rapid transit and a bike share program called "bicloo".



Tourists aren't permitted to use the bicloo bikes, but they provide other bikes from a downtown parking garage that visitors can use. Sadly, I didn't get an inside tour of the system, but I did take plenty of pictures of the system and its use.

Like in Paris, the kiosks are high tech and can provide directions as well as check out your bike.


Stations include electronic signage.

Many accompany transit stops.

I noticed that the design of the bikes was very similar to that in Paris.

No comments: