Monday, October 27, 2008

Psych Drama

I left my bike at the Warm Planet Bike Shop at the train station today instead of taking it all the way to the office. The guy who returned my bike to me wore a shirt that said "When do I get to vote on your marriage?"
VOTE NO ON 8.

Marriage tears me up. I don't know why. Yesterday, Jess and Sam had their San Francisco wedding reenactment and reception. I was deeply honored that they asked me to "officiate". I mostly managed not to cry.

Today was similar. I left our team laptop with an IT lady who my boss loves. Originally, I needed some large files transferred to it because we only have one copy of a certain software; so, we keep it on this shared computer. She decided it needed to be mapped to the network which I guess it used to be but no one connected it for so long that it lost it's... ability to connect. Logged on as the administrator, she downloaded a bunch of stuff to update it and made it possible for me to log on as myself instead of my boss. But when she returned the computer to me the needed software no longer worked and my boss was no longer able to log on. I had a pretty good idea of what had happened, but no matter how long I discussed it with her, she didn't agree with me, and the computer continued to not work in these very important ways.

After about 30 minutes of this, I took the laptop away to let my boss now have a try at it (why she thought this would work, I still don't know). Walking across the courtyard between buildings, I just about completely lost my shit. (Beg your pardon.) Realizing that this emotional outburst likely had nothing to do with anything actually happening, I took a deep breath and continued forward with the "plan". My boss couldn't make the computer work either. I explained to him: "I know you love (this IT lady); so, all I'm going to say is that it worked when I dropped it off to her on Thursday, and now it doesn't work." (Meanwhile, she was trying to tell us that the problem is that our software is expired. -- I ask you: between Thursday and today, what are the chances that the software, that our team has a license for, expired?)

At the wedding yesterday, I was telling a story about someone else I know to Mike and Carolyn. Mike said, "So, he's having psych drama." I loved that! Psych drama, which never had a name with me before, was popular with me in College, but I've completely lost a taste for it. I think Kevin burned that out of me, but then, that psych drama was completely my fault. I realized sometime in 2004 or 5 that going through life being tortured is pointless when you can be forwarding justice and enriching people's lives by creating art. I mean, I deeply value exploration of the human experience, but it's only interesting if it can be channeled into something productive.

No comments: