Thursday, October 02, 2008

Being wrong

I've already talked a lot on this blog about being wrong. I'm still thinking about it. I've been wrong several times about a person being the love of my life for example. It stung, but I'm here to tell about it with humility. I'm wrong in art, politics, work and even the most mundane aspects of life. I've been aware lately of how often I am wrong. I'm wrong because:
1) I believe things strongly.
2) I'm proud.
This causes me to ask myself if I would rather give up these characteristics and be wrong less often. (Giving up being wrong altogether seems unlikely -- one day at the time, you know.) Would I give up my passion and dignity to be right?

I don't even have to think about, but I am trying to force myself. Of course not! So, I ask myself, if I choose to be wrong, is there some way I can do that well, with the passion and dignity I love more? I can think of a few ways:
1) Laugh at myself -- find being wrong humorous
2) Articulate my intention to devalue being right and admit my errors freely
3) Open my mind to learning from my mistakes
I'm not good at humility. But I think it's worth practicing. Of course, the flip side of all this is to try to be as well informed as possible, but so much of living is subjective. My facts and opinions are often wrong, but I can only work towards getting the facts right slightly more often. The true value of my opinions only unfold with time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I figure it's OK to be wrong as long as you can be nice about it when you find out. And as long as it doesn't happen too often, of course. At least, that's how I deal with it...

Mom said...

Yes, I think that's a really important point. Being nice is more important than being right. It may not be more important than being passionate or proud tho. ;-)